Spoiler: After reading this you'll never look at a can of white beans the same way again. In the Salt & Straw R&D kitchen, we've made an incredible discovery. That viscous liquid that canned beans sit in whips into the smoothest, glossiest vegan marshmallow créme imaginable. (Yup, vegan fluff!)
That starchy liquid has a name: aquafaba. Rich in protein, it's produced when the legumes are cooked. We found that when we whisk the liquid to stiff peaks and stream in hot sugar syrup, allowing it to foam up and hold air, it beautifully mimics egg whites.
The best way to enjoy it? Topped on a steaming mug of vegan hot cocoa, of course.
Aquafaba Marshmallow Créme
Makes 3 cups
1/2 cup leftover white bean liquid
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 cup + 1 teaspoon vegan light corn syrup (or tapioca syrup, brown rice syrup, etc.)
1 1/3 cups vegan sugar
1/2 cup water
- Combine aquafaba and cream of tartar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and whisk to combine.
- Sprinkle in xanthan gum and whisk on medium high until stiff peaks form.
- Meanwhile, combine syrup, sugar, and water in a saucepan, stirring thoroughly to hydrate sugar. Cover and heat over medium. Remove lid when mixture starts to boil. Continue cooking until 240F.
- When syrup has reached 240F, turn mixer to low.
- Slowly pour hot syrup into the side of the mixing bowl. When all of the syrup has been added, increase mixer to high.
- Whip until mixture is bright white, glossy, and thick, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Spoon immediately on top of cocoa, or refrigerate, covered, to thicken further. It will keep in your fridge up to 1 day.
Vegan Drinking Chocolate
2 cups oat milk
3 tablespoons vegan sugar
2 tablespoons almond butter
3/4 cup high-quality chocolate, roughly chopped
Aquafaba Marshmallow Créme, for topping (see above)
- Combine oat milk, almond butter, and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat, whisking to combine. (Do not boil.)
- When mixture reaches a simmer, whisk in chocolate until fully melted.
- Pour into a mug and top with Aquafaba Marshmallow Créme.